It’s nearly Fall and apple picking season is finally here! And with an abundance of apples there are all sorts of fun activities and things you can make and do with them! Bobbing for apples is a traditional children’s game that is so much fun! Bobbing for ABC Apples is a game that we came up with that adds an element of hands-on literacy learning while still being just as fun!
This post contains affiliate links.
This is a great game to do outside on a warm Fall day! To set this activity up you’ll need:
- a bowl of water
- plastic apple table scatter
- ice cube trays or egg carton
- spoons or fine motor tools for “bobbing”
- ABC die
- permanent marker
- dry erase marker
This activity involves minimal prep work. But before setting it up you’ll need to:
- Write the letters (We are reviewing A-F, but any 6 letters you choose will work) in black permanent marker on your plastic apples. Tip: Coloring over permanent marker with a dry erase marker will remove the permanent marks from plastic objects. But do a spot check just to be sure!
- Write 6 letters (We are reviewing A-F) with dry erase marker or permanent marker on your ice cube tray or egg carton for sorting the letter apples.
- Create an alphabet die with a foam cube and permanent marker.
Set up your play area with a bowl of water, the alphabet apples, fine motor tools for bobbing, labeled ice cube trays for sorting, and the alphabet die. Then invite your child(ren) to come play an alphabet sorting game!
How to Play Bobbing for ABC Apples
To play the game players take turns rolling the alphabet die and searching the bowl for that alphabet apple using the tools provided. Once the apple has been bobbed out of the water, players work to fill up their ice cube tray with one of each of the alphabet apples! The player who fills up their tray first is the winner!
This is a really fun game for kids who enjoy sensory play or who are reluctant to do anything that resembles “school work”. They don’t know they are learning! Shhh… it’s our little secret!
More Apple Themed Activities
© 2015, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.