Summer is a time when we all want to be playing outside, enjoying the warmth and sunshine. But that doesn’t mean learning has to stop or that it can only be done inside. There are lots of fun, playful ways kids can learn outside! Today I’m going to share with you an idea that can be used for learning or reviewing any number of things in a fun way that gets the body moving!
The Hands-On Activities for Kids Monthly Link-Up is a place to stop by every month to share your hands-on learning activity posts! Brought to you each month by Stir the Wonder and Enchanted Homeschooling Mom.
Outdoor Gross Motor Ball Color Sort
- Small pool or large container
- Basket, Crate or small containers for sorting
- Ball Pit Balls
How to Set Up:
- Place your kiddie pool at one end of the yard or outdoor space and fill with ball pit balls.
- Place your sorting containers in the play space a distance from the kiddie pool.
- Invite your kids to play!
How to Play:
- Each Player chooses a color to collect.
- Players then race to collect all the balls of their color and fill their basket.
- The winner is the first player to fill their basket.
We played this game by sorting the colors of the balls. This is a fun, hands-on activity for reviewing color recognition. Both toddlers and preschoolers would love playing this game! But you can also use this simple gross motor game to play and learn with older kids. Here are some ideas you can use to change-up this game a little!
- Shape Recognition– Label the balls and baskets with different shapes. Have the players race to collect all of their shapes and fill their basket.
- Counting– Label the baskets with a number and have the players race to count and fill their basket.
- Number Recognition– Label the balls and the baskets with numbers, have the players race to collect their number and fill their basket!
- Practice Math Facts– Label the balls and baskets with numbers. Have the children add, subtract, multiply or divide the numbers on the balls to come up with the answer on the basket label.
- A small group of players can simply race to fill their baskets.
- A large group of players can play as a team and relay to fill their team baskets.
- Add water to the pool for an extra fun, sensory experience!
Check out this super cute DIY Fact or Fiction Saltwater Crocodile Game from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom!
Welcome to the Hands-On Activities for Kids Monthly Link-Up Guidelines! Please make sure to link directly to your post (not your main blog page) so we can all enjoy learning about your hands-on learning activity post that you want to share.
If you would like to spread the love for this blog hop by adding a button to your site please visit HERE to grab the code! We have created a Pinterest Board so that we can share all of your creative and inspiring hands-on learning ideas and activities. Make sure to stop by and check it out HERE.
Please link up your hands-on learning posts below. Feel free to link up as many posts as you would like to both new and old!
© 2015, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.