Fine motor skills are important for kids to learn. They are a prerequisite to handwriting and many other day-to-day activities that us grown ups do without thinking. Often times kids can learn fine motor skills by doing everyday activities. But sometimes to make practicing fine motor skills fun, I like to set up engaging activities, but these activities don’t need to be fancy at all. You probably have many of these everyday fine motor materials at home!
Today we are winding down the big Everyday Fine Motor Materials from A to Z blog hop hosted by Still Playing School with Yarn Wrapped Walking Sticks and other fine motor activities to do with yarn!
To make your own Yarn Wrapped Walking Sticks all you need is yarn and a good stick for walking or hiking! We found some on our property as well as some outside our library! You can find decent sticks after a gusty day almost anywhere! I have a bin full of yarn that I chose from, but I love the colorful variegated yarn that changes from color to color on the same string!
I was hoping Caden would be interested in helping me wrapped our sticks with yarn, but he wasn’t. This activity would probably be better suited for older children aged five and up anyway. To wrap the sticks I simple cut a long length of yarn, tied one end at the top of my stick and wound it around until I ran out of string. If I was satisfied with the amount I wrapped, I simply tied it off at the bottom. If I though I needed to cover more of my stick, I cut another length of yarn, and started wrapping again.
I think these Yarn Wrapped Walking Sticks turned out so cute! I can wait to use them on our upcoming camping trip!
More Fine Motor Activities & Crafts using Yarn
- Simple Sewing for Preschoolers from Stir the Wonder
- Mosaic Yarn Vase from Crayon Box Chronicles
- Yarn Bunnies from The Inspired Treehouse
- Super Simple Yarn Wrapped Hearts from Hands On As We Grow
- Yarn Wrap Sheep from Craftulate
- Cutting Practice Princess Doll from Lalymom
- Pine Cone Weaving at Rainy Day Mum
- Art and Fine Motor with String and Glue from What We Do All Day
- Yarn Wrapped Rainbow from School Time Snippets
- Yarn Wrapped Planets from And Next Comes L
- Yarn Wrapped Tulips from School Time Snippets
- Spaghetti and Meatballs from Mummy Musings and Mayhem
© 2014, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.