Are you looking for a great gift to give to a child? Try giving an experience gift! What are experience gifts you ask? Experience gifts are…not toys, but gifts that keep on giving and usually involve some hands-on learning or visiting a fun place and best of all the gift of quality time with the kids you love. In this post, I am sharing my ideas for experience gifts for kids and some great resources to find great experience gifts near you!
This post contains affiliate links.
Experience Gifts You’ll Want to Enjoy With Your Kids
1. Children’s Museum Membership– To find a children’s museum near you, use this world-wide directory by the Association of Children’s Museums. Below are a few children’s museums in the Southern New England area that I have heard great things about! We have visited the Providence Children’s Museum a few times and have fun every time!
2. Zoo Membership– Find a zoo or aquarium near you at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums
3. Camp Session– Find all kinds of camps near you through the American Camp Association
4. Extra curricular class or lessons– art class, dance class, gymnastics class, ice skating lessons…
- Look for extra curricular classes or lessons in your local newspaper or town website
- Rhode Island and Southeast Massachusetts residents can look at the Rhode Island Family Guide
5. Entertainment Tickets to the movies, a play, musical, or other type of show, or sports event. You can find tickets near you for almost any kind of event (professional sports, college sports, family shows, circuses, concerts) at StubHub.com.
6. Fun online classes–
- Playful Learning – Fun online classes for kids, starting at age four. Courses cover life lessons such as, family life, science, social & emotional well-being, and writing.
- Minecraft Homeschool – Learn about Ancient History through the fun online world of Minecraft!
7. Magazine subscriptions– search for the perfect magazine subscription for kids on Amazon.com
8. Activity box subscriptions – Activity boxes are monthly packages delivered to your door that include all the supplies for kids to make age appropriate crafts and hands on learning activities. Most companies offer boxes for kids ages three and up.
I hope you have enjoyed this list! What are some of your favorite experience gifts to give?
For more great gift ideas visit:
Gifts for Kids: 50+ Gift Guides and Gift Guides for Kids on Pinterest!
For more ways to explore, play and wonder please follow Stir the Wonder on
© 2013 – 2016, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.
What an amazing idea!! We love the Boston Children’s Museum! I love the idea of experience gifts. Subscription boxes are so fun! 🙂
Emma @ P is for Preschooler says
These are great ideas! Most toys will come and go, but spending a special day will make a memory. My aunt used to always take the kids someplace as a Christmas gift and it was a lot of fun. Thanks for suggestions (and the reminder!)
Cassondra @ Beyond the Cover says
These are such great ideas! I wouldn’t mind getting any one of them.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days says
Great list! We use money family members send to purchase museum and zoo/aquarium memberships each year. Every time we use them (which is a lot), we think of the giver. Depending on where you live, a National Park pass is another great experience gift. Thanks for sharing at the After School Party.
Thaleia (@Something2Offer) says
This is exactly what I want my in-laws to buy for my children. So glad you shared this on the Thoughtful Spot Blog Hop. I’ve picked your post as one of my featured posts!
Thank you! Hope your in-laws get some great gift ideas for your family!
Great list! Thanks for the ideas 🙂 I think my Miss 9 would love a zoo pass for Christmas!
Great ideas! I love the idea of giving time, or experience gifts. Because I think that mostly, our kids just want meaningful time with us, right? I am going to get Miss 9 a recipe book from her favourite TV chef and do some coupons for spending time in the kitchen cooking her favourite recipes from it. 🙂