We are kicking of the launch of our new LEGO book The Unofficial Guide to Learning with LEGO with a Learning with LEGO blog series! Each week we will show you fun, hands-on learning activities using LEGO bricks! Since Summer is upon us, it means the ants are out and about! So this week I am sharing a fun way to learn about the ant life cycle with LEGO bricks!
This post contains affiliate links.
LEGO Ant Life Cycle
When teaching my son, I like to include great children’s books to combine learning about different topics with literature! For this activity we learned about the ant life cycle with LEGO bricks and the book Are You an Ant? by Judy Allen. This story tells about the life cycle of ants from the perspective the insects.
This LEGO activity requires many bricks, but don’t worry if you don’t have some of them. Just make do with what you have! Learning will take place anyway! 🙂
- Green 32×32 stud baseplate
- 6 black 1×3 plates
- 2 black 2×3 plates
- 2 black 2×2 plates
- 1 black 2×3 slope brick
- 1 black 2×2 slope brick
- 1 1×2 plate with handle
- 2 black 1×2 plate with handle
- 8 black 1×1 plate with horizontal clip
- 1 black 2×1 plate with 2 horizontal clips
- 3 1×2 plates with handles on both ends
- 1 black 1×2 plate with low handles
- tan 1×2 slope bricks
- white 2×2 slope bricks
- white 1×2 bricks
- 2×2 bricks
- 2×2 plates
- 2×4 or larger bricks for labels
- Printable labels
- clear tape
How to Facilitate Learning with LEGO:
- Read Are You an Ant? by Judy Allen, another book about the ant life cycle or on the internet.
- Print out the ant life cycle labels, cut them out and attach them to some extra bricks with some clear tape.
- Then invite your child(ren) to create the ant life cycle using LEGO bricks! White 1×2 bricks make great ant eggs, tan 1×2 sloped bricks are awesome for larva, white 2×2 sloped bricks are excellent for pupa and an assortment of black bricks can be used to build an adult ant.
- Once all the stages of the ant life cycle has been built with LEGO bricks, label each stage and use the arrows to show the life cycle.
Are you interested in more learning with LEGO® ideas?
Check out our new book The Unofficial Guide to Learning with LEGO®! In it are over 100 hands-on learning activities from literacy to S.T.E.A.M. using LEGO® bricks!
© 2016 – 2017, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.