Do you have a nature-lover or a bug-obsessed child who also enjoys building with LEGO®? Then this project is for them! Using the bricks and plates that you have, they can build this simple LEGO® Bug Hotel to attract all kinds of bugs and insects in the backyard for observation.
This post contains affiliate links.
LEGO® Bug Hotel
The LEGO® Bug Hotel is a wonderful project for LEGO fans who also love bugs! This LEGO activity requires many bricks, but don’t worry if you don’t have some of them. Just make do with what you have! Learning will take place anyway! ?
- 4 square LEGO® baseplates
- LEGO® bricks in various sizes
- good amount of 2×4 (or longer) LEGO® plates
- natural materials to fill hotel
- Since LEGO® bricks can not connect to LEGO® baseplates from the bottom, the floors of the bug hotel are designed to slide in and out like a pull out shelf. Start building from the bottom using 2×4 or longer plates with a 1×4 (or longer) brick in between with another 2×4 plate on top to create a slot to slide the baseplate in, creating the bottom. Build the slot to fit the sides and back of the square baseplate.
- Build up the walls of the bug hotel about five LEGO® bricks high on three sides.
- Then repeat step 1, and insert another baseplate.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2, two more times, or until you’ve reached the desired height of your bug hotel.
- Once you have finished building the bug hotel, fill the compartments with sticks, twigs, grass and other yard clippings.
- Set the bug hotel outside to encourage bugs to come stay in the hotel.
Are you interested in more learning with LEGO® ideas?
Check out our new book The Unofficial Guide to Learning with LEGO®! In it are over 100 hands-on learning activities from literacy to S.T.E.A.M. using LEGO® bricks!
© 2016 – 2017, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.