Last year (2014-2015) we had so much fun participating in the Poppins Book Nook hosted by Enchanted Homeschooling Mom that we decided to participate again! And we couldn’t be more excited because we love book-inspired activities! The Poppins Book Nook is a monthly online kids book club that is completely free! Each month features a different theme in which bloggers choose a book and share an activity with their readers! It’s a great way to learn about different topics and build literacy skills.
This year Jill from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom has chosen some great themes that are going to be a lot of fun to explore throughout the next year and are sure to stretch our minds with a wide selection of books! Check out the monthly themes below!
This post contains affiliate links.
This month the theme for Poppins Book Nook is Newbery Medal books. I have to admit that we didn’t read any Newbery Medal books this month. There are not many that are appropriate for preschoolers. But I have looked over the list of Newbery Medal and Honor books that goes back all the way to 1922 and picked out some books that have a wonderful story and I think preschoolers would enjoy listening to.
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo is a cute story about a little mouse who lives in a castle with a princess. This book is the winner of the 2004 Newbery Medal.
- Hoot by Carl Hiaasen is a wonderful book about a group of kids who try to save some owls. This book is an 2003 honor recipient.
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo is a story about a girl who overcomes sadness with the help of a happy dog. It is a 2001 Newbery Honor book.
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine is about a girl who was given the gift of obedience when she was born by a fairy. She spends her days trying to break the curse. This book is one of the Honor books from 1998.
- Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan is a historical fiction story set in the American prairies. This book is the winner of the 1986 Newbery Medal.
- The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare is a story about a boy who learns to be independent and forms relationships with native. The book is set in the 1700’s American wilderness. It is a 1984 Newbery Honor book.
- Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel is a cute story about a frog and a toad who are best friends who do everything together. It is one of the Honor Books from 1973.
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White is a classic children’s story about a spider who befriends a pig on the farm where they live. It is one of the Honor Books from 1953.
- Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes sounds like an adorable story about a smart family who gets a smart dog! This book was the 1952 Newbery Medal winner.
- Several of the books from the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder have received Newbery Honors between the years 1938 to 1944.
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard & Florence Atwater sounds like a hilarious story about a man and is troop of performing penguins. This is a Newbery Honor book from 1939.
- ABC Bunny by Wanda Gág is a cute little story about bunny who hops through the alphabet. It is a recipient of the Newbery Honor from 1934.
I was surprised to find so many interesting books on the Newbery Medal and Honor Books list suitable for young children. I’ve read a few of these books, but not to my son. Which one should we start with? What is your favorite?
© 2015 – 2017, Stir The Wonder. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply